Our eyes are two of our most precious possessions which connect us to the world. They express our deepest feelings and emotions, giving life to the wonderful things we see every day. The eyes are constantly taking in information while they are open, working non-stop to help us view the world.
The health of your vision is ultimately governed by the health of your eye muscles. But as we age, all the wear and tear on the eyes will start to weaken the muscles. Also, in today’s age of video games, computers, and other electronics; we work our eyes a little too much.
In such cases, the most common way people improve their vision is by wearing prescriptive lenses. But better eyesight without glasses is no longer a dream today. Most people are not aware that you can improve eyesight naturally. Take a look at ways to improve eyesight naturally:
1. Have plenty of fish: Eat oily fish like salmon or tuna at least twice a week. Fish is a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids which helps to reduce the risk of dry-eye syndrome. You can even have fish oil supplements.
2. Eat raw vegetables: Eat raw vegetables like carrots, broccoli and cucumber as they have Vitamin A which is essential for eye care. You can also drink plenty of fruit and vegetable juice to increase your vitamin A levels. Also, eat spinach as studies have shown that lutein (a nutrient abundant in spinach), may prevent age-related macular degeneration and cataracts.
3. Blink Regularly: Blinking is a natural preserver of your better vision. Blinking is your body’s natural way of lubricating your eyes and preventing dry eyes. The more you blink the better it is for your eyes.
4. Avoid Stress: When you are stressed, you will find difficult to focus your eyes on a certain object. In other words, avoiding stress can improve your eyesight.
5. Use sunglasses and goggles: If you are working in an industrial belt or swimming, make sure to wear goggle. While swimming, goggles will protect eyes from chlorine, salt and other chemicals used in the water. Wearing safety goggles in an industrial belt will protect your eyes from the flying dust particles or other flying objects. When you go outside, always use sunglasses to protect your eyes from the harmful rays of the sun as well as from the drying effects of wind.
6. Regularly palm your eyes: Rub your hands together briskly to generate heat. Once warmed, place the palms over your eyes making sure to block all light. Breathe comfortably while palming your eyes. Do this for at least a minute, longer if you have the time available to you.
7. Have a chocolate: The dark variety of chocolate offers flavonoids which are important for the protection of blood vessels in the eyes.
8. Avoid staring: Staring is the most commonly practiced bad habit in regards to poor vision. Avoid sitting for long periods of time watching the T.V. or computer monitor. If your job requires you to work at a computer, stop once in a while (every 30 to 40 minutes) and look around the room at some distant point for 30 seconds.
9. Avoid dry air: Air from hair dryers, car vents, air conditioners and fans can make eyes dry, so avoid situations where air blows into your eyes. When you are in a car, point the air vents away from your face, and when you use a hair dryer, try to keep it away from your face.
10. Eye exercises: The goal of eye exercises is to strengthen the muscles on your eyes. These soothing exercises are a great addition to a healthy vision care routine:
• Squeeze your eye lids together tightly. Open, and blink rapidly several times. Repeat once or twice more.
• Try to move your eyes upwards and then roll the eyes. At first you follow clock rotation. After you make one rotation, reverse the direction
• To counteract the tendency to squint, look up while exhaling with eyes half open.
• Hold a pencil at arms length in front of your nose. Now slowly move the pencil towards your nose while focusing your eyes on the pencil.
11. Relaxation: Better eyesight without glasses also can be gained through eye relaxation. Consciously rest your eye muscles every now and then in order to give sufficient rest to the eye muscles.
It is not an easy task to improve eyesight naturally, at the same time it is not impossible. You can have the eyesight you desire using the above natural techniques. Remember eye care is important and not something that should be ignored even at the slightest discomfort.