All too often men neglect their skin, believing that all the products on the market are designed for women and that they don’t need any cosmetic products for them. Beyond the world of shaving their faces, it is rare for a man to devote time to his skin, especially the skin on his face.
That idea is now starting to fade. Men skin care products are becoming more and more popular these days. A modern man has realized that he also needs to pay attention to his skin regimen. Nowadays, men are increasingly taking care of their skin. There are an amazing amount of skin care companies whose goals are to keep men looking their best (and youngest).
If you are of the old opinion then you should think about this. Proper skin care is essential for the present and the future. Skin is the body’s first line of defense against sickness, germs, and diseases. Additionally, as we age, our skin loses its elastic nature. Thus, we develop wrinkles and facial lines. For these reasons alone, proper skin care is important.
Your skin is a mirror of your overall body health. But that doesn’t mean that you use the same cosmetic products as women to keep it healthy. Men have thicker (about 20% thicker) and oilier skin (owing to larger pores and more active sebaceous glands) than women. Therefore, their skincare needs are different. There are preventive techniques that will help you promote the best skin possible and keep it looking its best longer. Here are a few:
• Know your skin type: You can have normal skin, oily skin, dry skin, or a skin that is a combination. Each skin requires care and hence you should choose the cosmetic products accordingly.
• Wash your face: You should wash your face at least once day with lukewarm water and a good cleanser. Cleansing helps remove the grease, dirt and environmental pollutants from the skin and helps in preventing pore clogging which can make the skin prone to breakouts. An exfoliating cleanser containing alpha hydroxy acid should be preferred. Avoid using soap for cleansing as it can leave your skin dry.
• Shave Carefully: Shaving is always rough on your face, so get it done right. Buy a shaving cream that will properly lubricate the skin so the razor blade will glide over it, preventing razor burn. Also, use a good quality sharp razor that has a double blade attached to it. Shave lightly over acne-affected areas, and try not to drag your razor or nick pimples. Be gentle, and use a soft and smooth action when using your razor.
• Aftershave lotion: Aftershave lotion is an important part of the shaving process. It reduces the irritation and helps to soothe the skin after shaving. Alcohol based aftershaves should be avoided as they can close the skin pores on your face. Choose an aftershave based on your skin type, and the one that will soothe and condition your irritated skin. The lotion may contain an antiseptic to prevent infection, a moisturizer, or fragrance.
• Use Sunscreen: Sun damage leads to hyper pigmentation (brown spots) which can develop into serious skin disease. To prevent the elements from damaging your skin, wear sunscreen when you plan to be outdoors for an extended period of time. An SPF factor of 15 should be enough.
• Use a Moisturizer: Moisturizer isn’t just for women! Due to regular shaving, your skin can get dehydrated quite easily. Therefore, it is very important that you keep your face moisturized, which will keep your skin healthy and soft as well. There are plenty of moisturizers on the market today made with a man’s skin in mind. Gently smooth it into the skin after shaving.
• Tone your skin: As skin ages, it needs to work harder to maintain its elasticity. Astringents and toners with glycolic or alpha hydroxy acids work the best for toning the face.
• Have a balanced diet: Excessively fatty or greasy foods can increase the oiliness of your skin and cause blemishes. Drinking plenty of water and eating a high-fiber balanced diet will help you to maintain a young and glowing skin. Vitamin C, E, B and zinc are important components of a healthy skin. Make sure that you include these in your daily diet.
• Exercise: Exercise will do more than simply get your heart rate going. It will clear your pores, increase your metabolism, and for the most part make you feel better about yourself. Sweating during exercising allows your inner body to cleanse itself.
Stay away from excessive alcohol, smoking, fatigue and stress. Not only can these factors lead to premature aging; they also decrease facial circulation making you look older. Diligent practice of the above tips will make your skin will look healthier and younger, allowing you to feel better about yourself.