The modeling industry may not be particularly kind to women of average size, but that hasn’t stopped these beautiful women.
1) Christina Hendricks – Christina Rene Hendricks is an American actress known for her role as Joan Holloway in the AMC cable television series Mad Men, and as Saffron in Fox’s short-lived series Firefly. Hendricks was named “the sexiest woman in the world” in 2010 in a poll of female readers taken by Esquire magazine.
2) Whitney Thompson – Before winning the 10th cycle of America’s Next Top Model, Whitney appeared on the cover of Jacksonville Magazine 4 times in 3 years. She was also on the cover of Plus Model Magazine in January to kick off 2010.
3) Barbera Brickner – Barbara Brickner has been a working model for over 10 years. She works with Wilhelmina Agency in New York and Heffner Agency in Seattle as well as several other agencies around the world. Discovered by Bill Heffner, Barbara made her start in Seattle and has moved on to the New York and European Markets, also appearing several times on National Television doing runway. Barbara’s work with Eddie Bauer, Lands End, Nordstrom and Elena Miro (Italy) shows she is proud to be part of the ever-changing industry of plus size modeling.
4) Fluvia Lacerda – Fluvia Lacerda, known as the “plus size version of Gisele Bundchen” made history by being the first plus size model to appear in Brazilian Pla y+boy! In addition to that she is the winner of Full Figured Fashion Week’s Plus Commercial Print Model of the Year Award! Fluvia gave a exclusive interview on PLUS Model Radio where she talked about how more Latina women should be represnted in the plus industry, “faux plus” (size 8/10) plus size models, and her latest accomplishment of being featured in Brazilian Pla y+boy!
5) Charlotte Coyle – Charlotte Coyle is a plus-size model from Derry, Northern Ireland. She cites Sophie Dahl as her inspiration and has appeared in ads for Torrid and Marks & Spencer, in an editorial in the U.K. edition of Good Housekeeping magazine, and starred in a Channel 4 documentary titled Fat Beauty Contest (broadcast August 10,2006) in which she organized Britain’s first beauty contest for plus-size women and was subsequently re-broadcast on Channel One in Belgium.
6) Maggie Brown – More than just a pretty face and a curvalicious body, the Asian-American fashion model who grew up in Hawaii earned a degree in biology no less, allied health, and holds a secondary teaching certificate from Southern Adventist University. In 2006 Tyra Banks held a “Thick and Sexy Top Model Contest” during the Tyra Banks Show, and Maggie took first place.
7) Chloe Marshall — Surrey, England’s Chloe Marshall was the first plus size young woman to compete in the finals of the Miss England competition. Marshall, a UK size 16, finished second, and was subsequently signed to the Models Plus agency. She’s even posed for fellow model Velvet D’Amour.
8) Kate Dillon — Once a severely underweight model, Kate Dillon had trouble finding work in the mid-90s after she achieved a healthy weight. It wasn’t until she began working as a plus size model; however, that Dillon’s star began to rise. In 2000, she was named one of People’s Most Beautiful People. Check out more beautiful Kate Dillon pictures at Judgment of Paris.
9) Christina Mendez — New York’s Christina Mendez is not just a beautiful woman – she’s also a spokesmodel. The mother of a child with autism, Mendez devotes much of the time she’s not on the runway or posing for the likes of Glamour and Latina to working with Autism Speaks, an advocacy organization.
10) Crystal Renn — Gorgeous Crystal Renn may soon replace Emme as the highest-paid plus size model of all time – although she’d like to dispose of the designation “plus size.” Renn, who consistently lands both high fashion and commercial gigs, once suffered from anorexia. Since her recovery, however, her career has skyrocketed, and she’s published a book about her experiences in the modeling industry called Hungry.
11) Emme Aronson — Emme Aronson is perhaps the only plus size model to attain supermodel status – for now. The 5’11” stunner, who has twice been named one of People’s Most Beautiful People, has parlayed her posing career into advocacy, authoring, and a hosting gig on the dating show More to Love.
12) Justine Legault — The exceptionally beautiful Justine Legault works primarily in Canada, where she’s represented by Ford Toronto and Scoop Models in Montreal. Legault has made quite a few appearances in French-language magazines in the past several years. This shot is by fashion photographer Yanick Déry.
13) Mia Tyler — Model Mia Tyler, the half-sister of actress Liv Tyler, is one of the most popular plus size models of our time. Tyler has appeared on several reality shows, launched her own clothing line, published an autobiography, and is working on a pilot for a new show.
14) Velvet D’Amour — In 2006, Velvet D’Amour made headlines when she appeared in the Spring/Summer 2007 show for Jean Paul Gaultier’s ready to wear collection. After an appearance in French Vogue, D’Amour began focusing more on her own photography.
15) Whitney Thompson — In 2008, Florida native Whitney Thompson thrilled audiences everywhere when she took home the winning title on the 10th cycle of America’s Next Top Model. Since her win, she’s worked for Forever 21, JCPenney, and Saks Fifth Avenue.
16) Jennifer Coolidge – Jennifer Coolidge is an American actress best known for playing “Stifler’s mom,” the older woman in the film American Pie (1999); Hilary Duff’s stepmother in A Cinderella Story (2004); Paulette, the manicurist in Legally Blonde (2001) and its sequel; the voice of Aunt Fanny in the animated feature Robots (2005); for her role in The Secret Life of the American Teenager as Betty; and for her regular role in the NBC sitcom Joey as Joey’s agent, Bobbie Morganstern. She is also a regular actor in Christopher Guest’s Mockumentary films.